Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 07:56:07 PM
Home | Help | Search | Login | Register

Magnolia Electric Co.  |  General Category  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Jason Molina is in the back row. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: Jason Molina is in the back row.  (Read 43133 times)
Bad Luck

View Profile
Re: Jason Molina is in the back row.
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2009, 04:07:20 AM »

Any chance we get an explanation or a hint about the meaning of MAHAW?
It doesn't hurt to try...
deSilhouette

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2009, 04:23:24 AM »

Hi Jason,

many thanks for all the amazing work over the years.

- The tour documentary ("The road becomes what you leave") is amazing. The atmosphere of the whole thing is great. But why does it end so quickly? Was that all the footage that was shot? Are there any plans for similar releases?

- There were a couple of questions earlier in the thread that you skipped over. Apologies if that was intentional (one of them was about an incident on a flight and the other was about what 'mahaw' means -something I wonder about every time I look at my keyring). Any chance you might come back to that one?

- Do you have any records or songs that you wish you had recorded differently?

- You've obviously played a lot of gigs all across the US and Europe. In general how has your luck been with support bands? Do you ever have any time for them? Have you ever had a band that was previously unknown to you play support and kick ass? Or do you have any memories of support bands who were badly chosen by the promoter? Any particularly bad bands come to mind?

- Is there any reason you decided not to sing on the two songs from the middle of the MEC album when you sang the demo versions yourself?

MAHAW

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2009, 05:24:03 AM »

Thanks for the great questions from the regulars and generous answers from you, Jason! My question is fairly simple --

Do you know anything about this 'Meadowgrass Festival' in Colorado Springs? I see it on your schedule and have found another mention or two via googling, but I don't see much of anything else out there! As a Denver rez, I'm curious.

Thank you so much for everything.
Meadowgrass is supposed to be a great festival.  We have not done it before.  In the line of festivals if the people who run it are very on top of things it usually means a good show from the fans/bands point of view. This is looking like that.  I can't really say until I play it.  It at least is good value for the money.  So you have to sleep in the car? So you have to pay 42.00 for a t-shirt (not ours), it will probably be great if you take great with a grain of salt. 
MAHAW

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2009, 05:47:26 AM »

Hi Jason,

many thanks for all the amazing work over the years.

- The tour documentary ("The road becomes what you leave") is amazing. The atmosphere of the whole thing is great. But why does it end so quickly? Was that all the footage that was shot? Are there any plans for similar releases?

- There were a couple of questions earlier in the thread that you skipped over. Apologies if that was intentional (one of them was about an incident on a flight and the other was about what 'mahaw' means -something I wonder about every time I look at my keyring). Any chance you might come back to that one?

- Do you have any records or songs that you wish you had recorded differently?

- You've obviously played a lot of gigs all across the US and Europe. In general how has your luck been with support bands? Do you ever have any time for them? Have you ever had a band that was previously unknown to you play support and kick ass? Or do you have any memories of support bands who were badly chosen by the promoter? Any particularly bad bands come to mind?

- Is there any reason you decided not to sing on the two songs from the middle of the MEC album when you sang the demo versions yourself?

This is a lot to cover.  I will try.  Mahaw.  What that means you will not find on the interwebs.  If you are a good hunter you'd find it.  If you are a Native American you'd have an easier time.  The flight.  We dropped a few hundred feet (cant really speak in tech on this one).  We just dropped.  Everyone including babies started to puke and cry and it sucked.  Shit came out of the overheads but we all lived.  I kissed the ground.  MECo. record.  I love the sound of Lawrence Peters.  He is a real hero.  Scout in her own way is wonderful.  I looked at the two of them and saw a beauty in the valley between them and thought it was a good idea to see what would happen in the studio.  I am still proud of the work they did.  It's easy to write that off as a joke but it was a serious as a heartache.  Support bands.  I love them.  I was always the support band.  Remember Support:Ohia? that was me.  It is a fact that we often miss their show.  MECo. has to be at the show so early to soundcheck and we then have to find something to eat.  We love food and you won't find us in the hamburger joint around the corner.  But in Memphis I will go to Gus' and Dyers.  Hellbound train.   I try to keep a hand in the selection of support bands.  It usually is a phone call to Erik our booker.  He is amazing and has been doing this as long if not longer than I have.  He has a good sense of what will work or not work.  Support bands have it bad.  They get paid nothing or little next to it, the people don't watch them, nobody cares.  I have been wiped off the stage by some of these bands.  They count!.  On this tour I hope to have Thousand Arrows on some shows.  That is Pete Schreiner's project.  I also have asked to have a lot of singer songwritery folks in each town.  If you are any good and you can get your foot in the door on your own I'd love to have you play with MECo.  as support.  It has been ages since I had to do this my own way.  I just used to show up with a guitar and sometimes just walked on stage.  You do this and risk an ass kicking.  I did it and survived.
As for recording.  In the old Ohia days it was shit or get of the pot.  It was at the time when a lot of studios were shutting down and I mean like dominoes.  I did two versions of Axxess.  The first one we ditched because the performance seemed a little lazy.  We went right back and did mostly new songs and a lot that never made it to the l.p.  It was our first real studio recording and I should have had Mike Krassner play more on the thing.  He was perfect.  Geoff and Jonathan and Edith and Julie and all the rest.  I just didn't know at the time how great that studio was and that the players could all do a lot more.  I was full of ideas but really in the end I just made that record like any other one.  It's why my relationship with Albini is so long standing.  I go in. I hug the band. We make  a record.  Nothing else in the way. 
asedge

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2009, 06:17:21 AM »

(turns around to check out back row): Hi, Jason! First of all, thanks for all the great music thus far. And thanks for taking the time to type with us...

I am incredibly interested in the "lost Magnolia songs" that were recorded for Konkurrent. You have previously mentioned how important they were and I hope to one day be able to hear them. Can you tell us more about them? Have they since been re-recorded or were they ever played live? Or were they unique to that session? Any chance that Secretly Canadian could buy them and release them if Konkurrent won't? Or do you not care at this point? And finally, are there other "lost Magnolia songs"?...

I'm looking forward to the new releases and also the next time you roll through Toronto. It'll be great to have you back in town...

Peace.
Re: lost songs.  There are years worth of demos and recordings here in London and in Chicago and in Indiana and West Virginia and Ohio.  I am not sure what to do with all of these.  Sometimes I will invent a record and record it in a day.  That just goes in a box.  I used to burn all of these tapes on New Years.  I'm starting to keep the working tapes and it is because I just felt like I should stop burning everything.  I did get rid of a lot of unreleased songs this New Year.  There are also lost records out there.  I gave Drag City a full LP and they never put it out and said they lost the Masters.  Thankfully Bonny Billy put out two songs from that era.  One of the Songs:Radix records was stolen.
A complete solo record I did with just baritone guitar with Steve Albini was never put out.   There are a lot of songs out there that never will make it to an LP.   I'm not sad about it. 

I'm sure that there are plenty of people who would love to hear these recordings!

I've always been amazed at how prolific your songwriting is, how do you go about filtering out the material that makes it to a record? How much input do the band have in that process?

I really enjoy your recording of Sweet Release from the Muscle Shoals comp, I'm just interested in how that came about and who was involved in the recording.

Finally - sorry to hear about your time in the east end, I can understand where you are coming from - you say you all enjoy food, you must have eaten some of the finest curries in the land living there?!?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer these questions Jason. It really is much appreciated.

LunarTunes

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2009, 06:45:24 AM »

I know I said I'd bugger off, Jason, but I did have another question. Now I see that the above poster has asked part of it but I'm still curious about the rest. Some songwriters say they are simply conduits for the songs. Others say it is a craft and they toil away on each song. What is the songwriting process like for you? Do you sit down and go "OK, time to write a song."? Or are you, say, doing something mundane when you a song jumps into you and you run for the guitar? Also, I realize that you must treat your songwriting as a fluid process since you are constantly changing the way you play them live. But do songs usually tend to come out fully-formed and then you refine the arrangements and lyrics? Or do you usually work on a single song over a long period of time before you decide it's time to record it? I realize this is a lot to cover and there's no formula or general rule but a few thoughts would be great!...

Peace.

Looking for: All Prayer Is Good TAPE, Songs From The Loosing End LP, The Mechanic Compilation TAPE, Songs: Ohia/Glen Hansard 7"
MAHAW

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2009, 07:26:34 AM »

(turns around to check out back row): Hi, Jason! First of all, thanks for all the great music thus far. And thanks for taking the time to type with us...

I am incredibly interested in the "lost Magnolia songs" that were recorded for Konkurrent. You have previously mentioned how important they were and I hope to one day be able to hear them. Can you tell us more about them? Have they since been re-recorded or were they ever played live? Or were they unique to that session? Any chance that Secretly Canadian could buy them and release them if Konkurrent won't? Or do you not care at this point? And finally, are there other "lost Magnolia songs"?...

I'm looking forward to the new releases and also the next time you roll through Toronto. It'll be great to have you back in town...

Peace.
Re: lost songs.  There are years worth of demos and recordings here in London and in Chicago and in Indiana and West Virginia and Ohio.  I am not sure what to do with all of these.  Sometimes I will invent a record and record it in a day.  That just goes in a box.  I used to burn all of these tapes on New Years.  I'm starting to keep the working tapes and it is because I just felt like I should stop burning everything.  I did get rid of a lot of unreleased songs this New Year.  There are also lost records out there.  I gave Drag City a full LP and they never put it out and said they lost the Masters.  Thankfully Bonny Billy put out two songs from that era.  One of the Songs:Radix records was stolen.
A complete solo record I did with just baritone guitar with Steve Albini was never put out.   There are a lot of songs out there that never will make it to an LP.   I'm not sad about it. 

I'm sure that there are plenty of people who would love to hear these recordings!

I've always been amazed at how prolific your songwriting is, how do you go about filtering out the material that makes it to a record? How much input do the band have in that process?

I really enjoy your recording of Sweet Release from the Muscle Shoals comp, I'm just interested in how that came about and who was involved in the recording.

Finally - sorry to hear about your time in the east end, I can understand where you are coming from - you say you all enjoy food, you must have eaten some of the finest curries in the land living there?!?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer these questions Jason. It really is much appreciated.

Muscle Shoals.  That was an amazing project.  I had just finished a show and went in the studio and put down my parts.  It is a wonderful arrangement.  I am wondering if we could have done a whole record that way.    What would it be ?  I don't take cover songs lightly but this was such a great project.   Zevon I feel like he's my brother and I have no problem doing his songs.   Hank is harder.  Hank was writing with writers and he really was only getting in part of his own lyrics.  Willie is one who lets the spirits pass through.  A spirit leaves you with something.  Willie leaves it all in.  I still love the short answer and the long answer about London.  I won't let it kill me.   
MAHAW

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2009, 07:33:05 AM »

I know I said I'd bugger off, Jason, but I did have another question. Now I see that the above poster has asked part of it but I'm still curious about the rest. Some songwriters say they are simply conduits for the songs. Others say it is a craft and they toil away on each song. What is the songwriting process like for you? Do you sit down and go "OK, time to write a song."? Or are you, say, doing something mundane when you a song jumps into you and you run for the guitar? Also, I realize that you must treat your songwriting as a fluid process since you are constantly changing the way you play them live. But do songs usually tend to come out fully-formed and then you refine the arrangements and lyrics? Or do you usually work on a single song over a long period of time before you decide it's time to record it? I realize this is a lot to cover and there's no formula or general rule but a few thoughts would be great!...

Peace.
ouch! I'd be a fool to answer this but I will be the fool.  Songs just keep going.  I might wake up with a few lines and sit down and record.  I also follow the toil and toil.   I use a clock.  I figure that after 4 hours you should stop.  The lyrics will haunt me until they are right.  I leave in the strange grammar and Americanisims.  It isn't something easy.  It is really the hardest thing I do.  I could show you how.  Start with the soul.  Go!
kingposeidon

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2009, 06:37:54 PM »

I'm not sure if this Q&A is still going but I'll take a shot ...
Do prefer playing live with the rest of the band as opposed to giving solo gigs? Also, when I bought and listened to "Let Me Go ..." I almost felt like I'd read your private journal and that maybe I shouldn't be privy to what sounded much more personal than the music you make with Magnolia Electric Co. How do you feel about "Let Me Go ..." and the fact that the band started to perform tracks from the album a long time after you wrote and recorded those songs? One last question: Since you're living in London, what do you think of soccer?
user

Email
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2009, 07:42:04 PM »

hello, again.

... style, clothing n all that; is very important to me.. so, heres a serious question.

what ap with the new clothes??

BTW. i like your mature confidence!
MAHAW

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2009, 03:59:06 AM »

I'm not sure if this Q&A is still going but I'll take a shot ...
Do prefer playing live with the rest of the band as opposed to giving solo gigs? I like it all. 

THANKS.  I HAVE NO LIKES ON THAT FRONT.  THE BAND THROWS ME THE BONE AND I RUN WITH IT.  MAGS ARE THE BEST PEOPLE AND THE BEST BAND.  I AM AMAZED THAT THEY CAN FOLLOW ME.  BAD RHYMES BAD TIME BUT THE LYRICS COME.  THIS IS MY CHURCH.  THIS IS NOT A SHOW.  THAT WILL ALWAYS BE HARD TO MAKE OUT.  A MAN IS A MAN IS A MAN.  BUT IN THE END I'M TALKING ABOUT A CLASS A BAND. THEY PICK ME UP AND MAKE THESE SONGS WORK.  I WILL STOP NOW.  I LOVE THESE GUYS.  I LOVE OUR FANS. I LOVE OUR SECRETLY CANADIAN ...

into the record stores. Also, when I bought and listened to "Let Me Go ..." I almost felt like I'd read your private journal and that maybe I shouldn't be privy to what sounded much more personal than the music you make with Magnolia Electric Co. How do you feel about "Let Me Go ..." and the fact that the band started to perform tracks from the album a long time after you wrote and recorded those songs? One last question: Since you're living in London, what do you think of soccer?

I FUCKED THIS UP I'M SURE AND NED CAN EDIT IT.  I DON'T KNOW DICK ABOUT INTERWEBS.  BUT NED CAN MAKE THIS LOOK GOOD.  (done!/ned)
LET ME GO:  THAT IS A TERRIFYING RECORD.  I HAVE TO MAKE IT ALL SIMPLE.  I THINK THAT STEVE ALBINI IS ONE OF THE GREATEST RECORD LAYER DOWNERS THAT EVER STOOD.  I ALSO DO THINK THAT ANY GOOD  PERSON CAN GO THROUGH THE DRAWERS AND MAKE A RECORD OUT OF WHAT YOU HAVE AT HOME.  WHAT IS BETTER ...THE HIT OR THE SONG? THE SYSTEM OR THE TRUTH?  DON'T BE SHY AND PUT THEM ON TO TAPE...GIVE THEM TO A SOMEBODY AND PLAY.  DID YOU KNOW THAT EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE MAGS HAVE A BAND/PROJECT OTHER THAN MECO.? 
AS FAR AS THE RECORD SEEMING LIKE A DIARY...I DON'T KEEP ONE.  I PUT ALL OF IT IN THE SONGS.  I HARP THIS ALL THE TIME BUT I AM NOT TRYING TO BE AN ENTERTAINER.  I HOLD OUT MY PALM AND THE GIFT OF A SONG DOES COME.    A POEM CAN BE A REAL KILLER ONCE IT IS PUT TO A FEW CHORDS.  LET ME GO IS SOMETHING MAGIC.  I WROTE ALL OF IT ON THE SPOT.  I WOULD HAVE GONE TO STEVE IF IT WAS PLANNED.  THOSE SONGS WOULD HAVE BEEN TOTALLY DIFFERENT WITH THE MAGS.  I LIKE THE BALANCE.  A BAND RECORD AND A SOLO RECORD.  I DON'T HAVE ALL OF THE POWER TO MAKE A RECORD.  IF IT'S A BAND RECORD OR TOUR A LOT OF PLANNING NEEDS TO HAPPEN.  IF IT'S JUST ME AND A GUITAR I COULD DO IT IN THE HOLIDAY INN.  THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT BAD OR LAZY IT IS JUST CIRCUMSTANCE.  I STILL PUT THE SAME HEART INTO IT.  I'D GO ON FOR HOURS ABOUT THIS.  LET ME GO IS A VERY SPECIAL RECORD FOR ME. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 06:55:58 AM by noloveforned » Logged
MAHAW

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2009, 04:08:22 AM »

hello, again.

... style, clothing n all that; is very important to me.. so, heres a serious question.

FOR ME A BLACK T-SHIRT AND SOME GOOD JEANS ARE THE WORKS.  I LIKE WEARING AN OLD SUIT ON STAGE.  I'M GETTING OLD AND OLDER IN MY TIME.  I FIRST GOT ONE GOOD ONE TO WEAR OUT OF RESPECT FOR EVAN.  I COULD HAVE HAD A PAPER BAG ON MY HEAD AND IT WOULD HAVE BEEN FINE.  I GAVE HIM ALL OF MY BEST SHIRTS.  HE GAVE ME SOME OF THOSE BANDIT MASKS.  I'D TRADE MY LIVING TO HAVE HIM BACK. 
Rustdog

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »

Hi Jason,

First of all, thanks for all the great material you've given us in the past, and I'm certainly looking forward to the next few months.

Secondly, just wondering what you thought of your NZ/Australia experience a couple of years ago and if you have any plans to come back at any stage??

Cheers rustdog
MAHAW

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2009, 05:55:30 PM »

Hi Jason,

First of all, thanks for all the great material you've given us in the past, and I'm certainly looking forward to the next few months.

Secondly, just wondering what you thought of your NZ/Australia experience a couple of years ago and if you have any plans to come back at any stage??

Cheers rustdog
  I will forever love Australia and NZ.  It is so hard to really pull off a tour there.  We have many fans and we have many friends.  It just seems that it will take a long hard battle to really make that work.  I once was on tour and almost killed Mr. Badseed.  He just stepped into the street.  Didn't look at all.  I'd not like to wear the sash of sending Cave to his grave.  If it all goes good we'll be back over there.  The food the terrain the people the whole magic I do love.
user

Email
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2009, 06:25:37 PM »

hello, again.

FOR ME A BLACK T-SHIRT AND SOME GOOD JEANS ARE THE WORKS.  I LIKE WEARING AN OLD SUIT ON STAGE.  I'M GETTING OLD AND OLDER IN MY TIME.  I FIRST GOT ONE GOOD ONE TO WEAR OUT OF RESPECT FOR EVAN.  I COULD HAVE HAD A PAPER BAG ON MY HEAD AND IT WOULD HAVE BEEN FINE.  I GAVE HIM ALL OF MY BEST SHIRTS.  HE GAVE ME SOME OF THOSE BANDIT MASKS.  I'D TRADE MY LIVING TO HAVE HIM BACK. 

ok .. absolutely.. i got it.

by mature i ment to say - as an artist ( u know, adding visual complexity to what you do), not that ur old!  hehe! xD
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
Magnolia Electric Co.  |  General Category  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Jason Molina is in the back row. « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length